What we eat, is how we nurture our body and therefore our mind as well..! I am sure we all have memories of our grandma telling us the same as a kid. This also brings me to the next question, what is healthy and what is not? Is it something as subjective as it seems to be??? Or is there a way to “label as healthy and unhealthy”.
Well, if we talk about diseases, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe most of the lifestyle diseases in the current times are caused due to unhealthy food habits. Precisely, as we get caught in the busy routines, our food choices are rather governed by the situations than the healthy component associated with the choices that we make.
Considering this, I thought it would be a good idea to write about food options that we can consciously avoid to remain healthy. This does not explicitly state that, not consuming these foods would not get you to a diseased state, but for sure you will be able to practically reduce or eliminate one of the factors contributing to diseases such as cancer.
Foods that Cause Cancer and Must be Avoided Include:
- GM Foods: Genetically modified organisms or (GMO) are plants or animals whose DNA has been altered in special ways to resist pesticides and insecticides. First and foremost, the GM crops are not considered safe to be utilised by the humans. Genetic modifications in the crops are anticipated to increase the introduction of toxins in the food which may trigger allergic reactions.
- Processed/ Packaged Food Items: Meat needed to be on the shelf for a longer time span are processed using different methods such as salting and use of preservatives. Many times different chemicals are used as preservatives for the food products that are processed and needed to be stored for a longer time. Therefore, make sure to check for the absence of nitrates and nitrites in the food items to avoid intake of preservatives.
- Refined sugars: It is ironical and heart-warming that we happen to consume sugars in their natural form by the smallest percentage. We happen to consume refined sugars in different forms and by different quantities. Studies in the past have shown that refined carbs cause the most rapid spikes in the blood sugar linked to 88% greater risk of prostate cancer. Not only this, excessive intake of sugar often leads to obesity which paves a way to diabetes and other multi-factorially governed diseases such as
- Processed meat: Studies have reported that large amount of red meat is linked with colorectal, pancreatic and prostate cancer. It is loaded with saturated fat and other chemicals that are carcinogenic in nature. Additionally meat is processed and packed in the presence of nitrites and nitrates that adversely add to their nature.
- Alcohol: It would be inaccurate to consider alcohol as a food as it is not. It is more like a luxury drink that one consumes at occasions. However, when the definition and purpose of this drink changes to a daily drink, that is where the trouble starts. Excess of alcohol is considered to be one of the prime reasons for the onset of liver cancer. Therefore, make sure you keep a beer or two to Friday drink rather than making it an everyday type of a drink.
So lets make sure, while we all deal with these tough times, we consciously try to reform some of our habits and pave a way for a healthy disease free life ahead. Avoid foods that cause cancer!
Related Blog: What Causes Cancer?