Breast cancer and indeed cancer in general is on the rise. In India, breast cancer is the most common type of cancer in females. Women are getting breast cancer younger than ever before. Cancer cells found in the breast is formally known as breast cancer.
Here are the reasons for breast cancer increasing in the population:
- Aging population: being above 40 increases the risk of breast cancer.
- Family history of cancer: having a family history of breast cancer may increase the risk of developing breast cancer.
- Gene mutations: Certain genes especially BRCA gene mutations significantly increase the risk of breast cancer. You can get genetic testing with Myriad’s MyRisk test.
- Gender: women are far more likely to get breast cancer than men.
- Consumption of alcohol: the more you drink the more likely you are to get breast cancer.
- Breast cancer patients who have cancer in one breast are at higher risk of getting cancer in the other breast or ovaries.
Breast Cancer in India:
Breast cancer is the most common cancer for women in India. A woman is diagnosed with breast cancer on average every four minutes! A woman dies of breast cancer every eight minutes. There are an estimated 70000+ deaths caused yearly.
In rare cases men get breast cancer. Indian women are encouraged to undergo self examinations to check for early signs of breast cancer. Consult your doctor if you find a lump. Most breast cancer appears on the fatty part of the breasts but it can appear in other areas as well.
From our internal database, India has a high number of triple-negative breast cancer. Triple-negative breast cancer is difficult to treat. India has increasing numbers of women under 40 getting breast cancer.
Did you know?
Breast cancer death rates declined 40% from 1989 to 2016 among women. The progress is attributed to improvements in early detection.
Learn More About Breast Cancer:
Find out complete resource guide on breast cancer here including which tests are available, symptoms, treatments, and much more.